Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Lent and shopping...

Every year I give up something for Lent.

My husband makes fun of me because I so rarely go to mass... and other people probably disagree with me because they think I should give rather than give up. But I give something up anyway.

For some reason I've noticed that my trend tends to be something edible... chocolate, pizza, ice cream, fast food, desserts. And they've all been very hard for me so : p. But this year I decided to give up

(insert drum roll here)

SHOPPING!

And no... it doesn't include things like groceries or contact solution.
But it does include clothes, books, YARN. And my jaunts about Target.
*sigh*

This might be the hardest thing I've ever given up. It doesn't help that I get sale emails all the time... or that one of the girls in my knitting group is getting an order together for Malabrigo. I'm avoiding Target... and the library and free Kindle books are my friends. Free Kindle books don't count as shopping, right?? They are FREE!

I do have to get an external CD drive for my computer tonight... but I consider it a business expense for Furrie Fotographie PLUS my internal drive isn't working so I haven't been able to do my taxes because it won't read the Turbo Tax disc. My mom said she didn't think the IRS would consider that a valid excuse. Darn. I'm definitely not looking forward to doing my taxes this year. We bought the house and I didn't do as well with tracking my business stuff this year as last year. At least I've learned my lesson and have already started several spreadsheets in Excel for 2010!

Anyone else give up something for Lent?

Anyway, that's it for now. I've already started my post for February's books and knitting so you'll see that next week!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I tried giving up chocolate for Lent a while back, and that lasted...oh, about a week. Bad idea. I remember when you gave up beer for Lent :)

This year, I don't think I'll attempt anything new, but instead just be determined to appreciate what I have and try not to be gluttonous. I think "giving" instead of "giving up" is a nice idea, but either way, I think the point is about sacrifice. If you "give," you are also "giving up" something: time, money, etc. It's the same thing.

I also applaud your decision to give up shopping! This is one of my vices. I have a link on my blog to "Our Little Apartment," and Ashley has been tracking her own journey of spending less and only buying clothes from thrift stores. She's really inspiring. So, good luck with not shopping. Do stay away from Target.